Brothers first. Since 1962.

Founded by the Brothers of the Christian Schools, carried by the young men of Jefferson Parish, and still singing the same fight song sixty years on.

Said plainly. Lived daily.

One mission and one code, both in the school’s own words, both older than every student in the building.

The Mission

Archbishop Rummel High School educates each student according to the principles of the Catholic Church in the Lasallian tradition of faith, community, and service. In a caring, disciplined environment of social awareness and academic excellence, the school challenges each student to recognize the dignity of life and to develop and share, to the best of his ability, his unique talents.

The Code of Pride

“An Archbishop Rummel Raider strives to be a Christian gentleman, one who takes to heart Jesus’ command to love God and to love one’s neighbor.” That is the opening line, and the rest of the Code is the school’s standard for how a Raider carries himself in uniform and out of it.

Nine things every Raider knows.

Sixty years leaves marks on a campus. These are the ones the students can point to, and the stories behind them.

Brother Raphael Bodin, FSC

First principal, 1962 to 1964, who came back to teach mathematics and later gave his life on mission in Nigeria in 1997. The conference room carries his name.

The Chapel Doors

Given by Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Wilson in memory of their son Darryl Joseph Wilson ’82, honor student and drum major. Dedicated May 2003.

The Raider Room Cross

A cast bronze Resurrected Christ by sculptor Marge Ward, paid for by student collections during Spirit Week in 1994. Its frame carries the four crest symbols.

The Senior Candle

Proposed by Fr. Wayne Roca, SJ, and begun by the Class of 1995 under the theme “Let us be the Light.”

The St. La Salle Statue

Standing at the main entrance since 1982, brought to campus by Brother Louis Welker. Every school day starts by walking past him.

The Crest

Four quadrants on a cross: the Brothers’ star of faith, the hunting horn from Archbishop Rummel’s own coat of arms, an open book for knowledge, and the Louisiana pelican for devotedness.

The “R”

Put on a helmet by football coach Don Perret in 1972, made the official logo in 2005. It stands for Bold, Strong, and Unafraid.

Rufus and Rumpus

The Raider is named for Rufus Cressend ’66 of the charter class and was drawn by New Orleans artist John Chase. His horse Rumpus was named by Paul Joseph ’80 in a 1979 contest.

The Colors and the Song

Columbia blue, red, and white, chosen by student vote in November 1962. The fight song was adapted from “Hey, Look Me Over,” begun by Coleman Hardin ’66 and finished by Brother Fidelis, FSC.

1901 Severn Avenue

Twenty two acres in the middle of Metairie, with St. La Salle out front and the name in letters you can read from the road.

Walk the campus

Eighteen to a room

Small enough that the teacher knows who is laughing, and why.

Nobody walks in alone

Somebody older meets him at the door on day one. It has worked that way for sixty years.

1962
Opened
By the Brothers of the Christian Schools
22
Acres
At Severn Avenue, Metairie
5
Grades
Eighth through twelfth, one brotherhood

Reading about it is one thing. Standing in it is another.

Every visit option, from a full shadow day to a private tour, is one short form away.

Archbishop Rummel High School
1901 Severn Avenue, Metairie, LA 70001 · 504·834·5592